Quick Links

Language Instruction for Academic Staff

Click for other pages in the NTSASG: Guide Front Page | Introduction | Your Appointment | Working in Canada and Moving to Montreal | Relocation Service | Getting Settled in Your New Home | Starting Up at the University | Language Instruction for Faculty Members | University Support Services | Teaching Support | Research | Student Life & Learning | Campus Life ||

On this Page:

Language Courses | Mon Français Program | Registration Procedures | Other Language Courses at McGill | Taxable Benefit | Contacts ||
Language Courses

McGill University provides language instruction to eligible academic staff, their spouses and dependents.

Mon Français Program

Through the Mon Français Program, McGill University provides subsidized French language instruction to eligible academic staff on temporary work permits, and their spouses, through its School of Continuing Studies.



  • Tenure-track and tenured academic staff holding temporary work permits, and their spouses.
  • Pre-tenure-track Assistant Professors (Special Category) holding temporary work permits, and their spouses.
  • Full-time ranked Contract Academic Staff (CAS) holding temporary work permits, and their spouses.
  • Non-Canadian spouses of repatriated Canadians may request consideration.



The Mon Français Program is intended to facilitate eligible staff members working at McGill on a temporary work permit to obtain a Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ), which is required to apply for Canadian permanent residency.

Academic staff on a temporary work permit can obtain a CSQ if they satisfy the requirements of the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI). For the Programme Expérience Québec path, the CSQ applicant must demonstrate a minimum French proficiency at the Advanced Intermediate level (level 7) of the Échelle québécoise des niveaux de compétence en français des personnes immigrantes adultes or its equivalent (level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).

McGill’s Mon Français Program provides access to French language instruction (without credit) to meet this requirement.

Proof of level 7/level B2 French proficiency is recognized by MIDI as either:

  • A passing grade in CEFN 332 (part-time) offered by the School of Continuing Studies, or,
  • A passing grade in the TEFaQ French evaluation test, established by MIDI, and administered by MIDI or the School of Continuing Studies.


Eligible Courses

Only courses in the part-time French program taken through the School of Continuing Studies are subsidized in the Mon Français Program.

Eligible courses include:

NOTE: Courses in Intensive French program are not eligible under the Mon Français Program.



Course fees for each eligible course will be waived by the University provided the participant completes the course with a passing grade. Fees for French Placement Tests and the TEFaQ French evaluation test will also be waived, or reimbursed (via expense report).


Slowing the Reappointment Clock

As a pilot project, eligible tenure-track academic staff engaged in French language training under the Mon Français Program may request a delay of reappointment consideration, provided that they have passed at least 200-hours of French instruction at the School of Continuing Studies prior to the year of reappointment consideration.

Requests are to be addressed to the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic) and submitted to the academic [dot] personnel [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Academic Personnel Office) approximately 3 months before the beginning of the year of reappointment consideration. Approval shall be confirmed in writing.

Registration Procedures
Please go to Client Services located at: School of Continuing Studies
688 Sherbrooke Street West, Suite 1199 (11th floor)
Montreal, Quebec H3A 3R1

STEP 1: Identify Yourself

Identify yourself, (and your spouse, as applicable), as eligible for French language instruction under the Mon Français Program.

For this purpose, be sure to have on hand:

The School of Continuing Studies will verify your eligibility and guide you through the registration process.


STEP 2: Registration

You will be invited to:

  • complete the Registration Form,
  • complete the Permanent Code Data Form, and
  • take the French Placement Test or to sign the waiver form

Individuals with little or no knowledge of French who sign the waiver attesting that they are beginners will be exempted from the French Placement Test and will be registered in a Basic French course.

Other Language Courses offered at McGill

Staff and their dependents may enrol in other French, English and other language courses offered, for example, by the School of Continuing Studies, the Faculty of Arts and Human Resources.

Please consult Vivre En Français, and the appropriate websites for a full list of course offerings and conditions for registration.

Taxable Benefit

Staff and their dependents may qualify for reimbursement of some of the fees associated with these courses. For information and conditions see: Tuition Assistance.

Subsidized language instruction is considered a taxable benefit to the individual enrolled in the course. Consequently, a Canadian Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required.


School of Continuing Studies


For information on course offerings and conditions for registration:
Manon Gadbois

For assistance with registration for the Mon Français Program:
Joey Settino
514-398-4400, extension 089660

Office of the Associate Provosts

For information on eligibility for the Mon Français Program:
Academic Personnel Office