The 2017-2018 Academic Salary Policy provided for continuance of the Professional Development Fund, to be used to reimburse expenses incurred by eligible academic staff for professional development.
Each eligible staff member is allowed up to $750 annually.
Eligible staff who do not use the full $750 in a given fiscal year may carry forward all, or any unused amount derived over two consecutive years, for a cumulative maximum of $1500.
To be eligible, the staff member must hold one of the following active appointments during the relevant reference period at one of the following ranks:
- Tenure-track or tenured: Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or full Professors; or
- Tenure-track or tenured: Assistant Librarians, Associate Librarians or full Librarians; or
- Contract Academic Staff (CAS): Campus-based, full-time salaried -- Faculty Lecturer, Senior Faculty Lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or full Professor.
Staff appointed as Assistant Professor (Special Category) are ineligible for the Program.
Examples of eligible expenses are:
- Membership in scholarly societies (e.g. Strategic Management Society, Canadian Musical Heritage Society, etc.)
- Registration for attendance at scholarly meetings, conferences and seminars
- Subscriptions to scholarly journals and purchases of scholarly books
- Travel and/or accommodation for meetings, professional conferences or seminars. Reimbursable only after attendance or the trip has occurred.
- Purchase of computer hardware and software in support of professional development or academic duties
- Supplement to the Academic Laptop Program (for eligible staff to the program)
- Membership in professional order or association if required for the position held
|Professional Development Fund Balance
The balance of individual Professional Development Fund accounts for eligible staff members in the Faculties of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Engineering, Medicine, and Science may be found here, listed by McGill ID: Professional Development Fund balances - 12 October 2017
This listing will be updated monthly. Please direct any inquires related to the posted balances to pdf [at] mcgill.ca.
|Submitting a Request for Reimbursement
The Program is operated on the University’s Fiscal Year which is 01 May to 30 April. The deadline to submit an expense report is 15 April.
HOW TO request a Reimbursement
The program is administered directly by the Faculties of Dentistry, Education, Law, Desautels Faculty of Management, Schulich School of Music, the School of Continuing Studies, and Library and Archives. Please consult your Faculty contact for further instructions.
||rosemary.cooke [at] mcgill.ca (Rosemary Cooke) - Director, Administration and Finance
||pdf.education [at] mcgill.ca
||pina.ricco [at] mcgill.ca (Pina Ricco) - Financial Administrator
|Desautels Faculty of Management
||venesa.inoperio [at] mcgill.ca (Venesa Inoperio) - Financial Administrator
|Schulich School of Music
||henry.tin [at] mcgill.ca (Henry Tin) - Manager, Finance
|School of Continuing Studies
||rosa.greco-pepe [at] mcgill.ca (Rosa Greco-Pepe) - Manager, Finance and Operations
|Library and Archives
donna.hedge [at] mcgill.ca (Donna Hedge) - Library Financial Administrator
francisco.oliva [at] mcgill.ca (Francisco Oliva )- Finance, Planning & Resources Manager
For the other Faculties - Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Engineering, Medicine, and Science - the program is administered by the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic) and the following instructions apply:
- Log in to Minerva
- Go to the Employee or Finance (Fund) Administration Menu
- Select the Advances and Expense Reports Menu
- Select Submit an Expense Report
- Select Start an Expense Report to be finished by Someone Else
- Enter the McGill ID of the responsible person
- Enter the Destination and Start and Return dates
- In the Purpose field, select "Professional Development Fund" from the drop down menu
- Enter a detailed Description for the expense
- Leave the Default Fund Code field blank
- In the To be completed by Reviewer field, select "Associate Provost (BR)" from the drop down menu
- Click on Continue to proceed to the next screen
- Enter receipt information - enter each receipt individually
- Enter the Receipt date
- Select the Expense Item
- Enter a detailed Description of the receipt
- Enter the total amount of the receipt, including taxes
- If personal expenses are included on the receipt, enter the total amount of the personal expenses, including taxes, to be deducted from the receipt total
- Select the appropriate Currency and verify the currency exchange rate, modify if needed
- Select the Purchasing Location
- Verify the GST/HST and QST amounts, modify if needed
- Leave the Fund (FOAPAL) information fields blank
- To enter more receipts, click on Add New Item and repeat Steps 13 to 22
- Click on Save and View to verify the request
- Click on Forward to Reviewer
- Click on Print and forward hard copy to Reviewer
- Ensure the Claimant signs the request (no other signatures are required)
- Attach all original receipts and send the expense report to:
|Professional Development Fund Administrator
Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal (Academic)
James Administration Building, Room 633
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2T5
All inquiries about the Professional Development Fund may be submitted to: pdf [at] mcgill.ca
|Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
|How do I receive the reimbursement?
||Reimbursement is made only for “out of pocket” expenses paid by the staff member. As such, the amount reimbursed will be deposited directly into the staff member’s personal bank account (same account used for pay deposit). An email notification from the Financial Services Department will be sent once the direct deposit has been made.
|Can it be transferred directly to my grant, procurement card (P-card) or FOAPAL?
||No. Reimbursements cannot be transferred to grants, special funds, FOAPALS and/or procurement cards.
|Are original receipts required?
||All receipts must be originals. Photocopies or faxes are not accepted. If the purchase was made via the web, a printed receipt is acceptable only if proof of payment is provided (e.g. Visa or bank statement).
|Electronic Receipts and Online Purchases
Many purchases are made via websites and the transaction confirmation varies widely depending on the Supplier. Electronic receipts are acceptable only if the following information is included:
- Identification of the supplier
- Supplier's GST and QST numbers, where applicable
- Identification of the buyer
- Full description of what was purchased
- How much was paid, along with proof of payment indication
May I request a travel advance?
Reimbursement is made only for “out of pocket” expenses. No travel advance is allowed. You may not request a reimbursement in advance of the event or travel. Cancellations will not be reimbursed.
When do I make my request?
|All expense reports should be submitted no later than 2 months following a purchase or date of travel.
|What is the balance of my Professional Development Fund account?
||Balances for eligible staff in the Faculties of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, Arts, Engineering, Medicine and Science may be found in the above document, listed by McGill ID. All other academic staff should consult their Faculty contacts.