Frequently Asked Questions

How do I transfer credits from a different university?

Students may be granted credit for courses passed with a grade of C or better at other universities, as long as they are within the number of credits imposed by McGill's residency requirements and program requirements in some faculties. In general, a maximum of 30 transfer credits may be granted. Students must be in satisfactory standing in order to be granted the transfer credits. Courses with grades of C-, P and S will not be considered for transfer credits. The letter grades applied by the host institution take precedence over the numerical grades if both are provided. Students should note that a minimum of 60 credits must be completed at McGill in order to qualify for a McGill degre

Grades earned at the host university for transfer courses are not entered on the student's McGill transcript and are not included in the calculation of the TCPA or CGPA.

For universities outside of Quebec, it is the student's responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is sent from the host institution to the Senior Adviser, Student Affairs Office.

Arts and Science Student Affairs Office
Dawson Hall
853 Sherbrooke St. West
Student Affairs Office
(514) 398-4210

Students studying at another Québec university on an Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) will have their grade(s) sent to McGill University automatically by the host university. For additional information, please refer to Quebec Inter-University Transfer Agreement (IUT) and Study Away.

Transcripts for transfer courses must meet the following deadlines:

  • April 30, if Term of graduation is to be Winter (Convocation in Spring).
  • September 15, if Term of graduation is to be Summer (Convocation in Fall).
  • January 15, if Term of graduation is to be Fall (degree granted February, Convocation in Spring).

Transcripts not received by the appropriate deadline date will be considered for the next graduation period only.

These are the steps to follow when trying to get transfer credits:

  • Get Form 4 from Student Affairs Office.
  • Make an appointment with the Undergraduate Program Director Charmaine Nelson:
    Office: Arts W290; Phone: (514) 398-2210; Charmaine [dot] Nelson [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) .
  • Please bring the following to the adviser:
    • Your filled out Form 4
    • Unofficial transcript from hosting university
    • Any course work (preferably exams and papers)
    • Course description

How do I take classes at another university?

Students must obtain approval from the Student Affairs Office as well as the academic adviser prior to taking the course, especially if the course is taken as part of the student's program requirements.

For information on Quebec Inter-University Transfer (IUT), please click here.

What are CREPUQ and Study Exchange Programs at McGill University?

McGill University has bilateral exchange programs in Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the U.S.A. Information on bilateral exchange programs, including the criteria for participation and a list of institutions with which McGill has bilateral student exchange agreements, is available on the Student Exchanges and Study Abroad (SESA) website.

McGill also participates in student exchange programs established by the Conference of Principals and Rectors of Quebec Universities (CREPUQ). The criteria for participation in these student exchange agreements is the same as for SESA. For more information, please refer to Programmes d'échanges d'étudiants de la CREPUQ (PÉÉ).

What courses can I take?

For information on Art History courses required to graduate, click here.

What is the Museum internship course and how do I go about enrolling?

For Information concerning the Museum Internship, follow this link.

What are the add/drop dates and other important dates that I should know about?

For the most recent University "Important Dates for Students" announcements, follow this link.

Sunday, October 22
– Deadline for Web withdrawing (grade W) with no fee refund

Tuesday, December 5
- Classes end

Tuesday, December 5
– Registration opens for newly admitted winter students in Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies and Law

Thursday, December 7 to Friday, December 22, 2006
– Examination period for the Fall term

Wednesday, January 3, 2007
– Classes begin

Wednesday, January 3
– Deadline for new students to register for winter without a penalty

Tuesday, January 16
– Course Change (add/drop) deadline for Winter term

Sunday, January 21
– Deadline for Web withdrawing (grad W) with fee refund

Sunday, February 18
– Deadline for Web withdrawing (grade W) with no fee refund

Monday, February 19 to Friday, February 23, 2007
- Study Week

Wednesday, April 11
- Lectures end

Friday, April 13 to Monday, April 30, 2007
– Examination period for the Winter term

How can I fund my studies?

There are several options for funding your studies and the first resource to consult is McGill's Student Aid Office.

Information about McGill undergraduate awards and scholarships may be found here.

Information about Millenium Scholarships:

Information about government loans and bursaries can be found in the following links:

If you are thinking ahead to graduate school, you may wish to explore options such as SSHRC and FQRSC funding.

Work opportunities can be found on the CAPS website and the Work Study website.

What are my career and internship options after I graduate with a degree in Art History? Who can provide guidance?

Art History graduates regularly pursue careers in the following realms:

  • Art Museums and Galleries (directors, curators, public relations, collections management, exhibition design, art education, etc.)
  • Other Museums (i.e. archaeology, history, etc.)
  • Art Conservation
  • Auction Houses (i.e. Sotheby's, Christie's)
  • Art Archivist, Art Librarian
  • Historical Preservation
  • Arts Administration
  • Cultural Heritage, Government or Private Sector Cultural Agencies (Canada Council, SSHRC, Heritage Canada, the Getty Foundation, etc.)
  • Law (i.e. Intellectual Property)
  • Journalism (i.e. Television, Print or Radio Arts and Cultural Criticism)
  • Professor (Art History, Visual Culture, History, Women's Studies, Race-based Studies, Theory and Criticism, etc.)
  • Teaching
  • Tourism Industry
  • Film, Television, Media Production (Researchers, Set Design and Production, etc.)
  • Artists

It is important to realize that although many of these careers require or benefit greatly from an undergraduate foundation in Art History, they may require further study at the Art History graduate level, within another discipline (i.e. Faculty of Law, Education or Library Science) or within other specialized programs. You must assess career path and level you wish to attain in order to make thoughtful determinations about your potential need for further study. In certain cases, students would benefit from taking certain programs or elective courses during their undergraduate degrees (i.e. Chemistry for Art Conservation, etc.). It is a good idea to begin to seek out career-related summer employment or volunteer positions as soon as possible in order to build a desirable CV. It is also beneficial to publish career-related research at the undergraduate level in student or professional forums and to get involved in art exhibitions, conferences and other related events.

For general guidance and specific instruction about graduate programs and careers, conctact:

AHadvisor [dot] ahcs [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Undergraduate Program Director for Art History) .

csadvisor [dot] ahcs [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Undergraduate Program Director for Communication Studies) .

The McGill Career Planning Service (CaPS) assists students in their career development and search for permanent, part-time, and summer jobs, as well as internships, by providing workshops, individual career advising, a comprehensive job posting service, and an extensive Career Resource Centre.

See [.pdf] for additional career-related information for Art History students.

Contact CaPS:
Brown Student Services Building
3600 McTavish, Suite 2200
Montreal, Quebec H3A 1Y2
Tel.: 514-398-3304
Email: careers [dot] caps [at] mcgill [dot] ca
CaPS Website:
myFuture (Job postings and event listings):

For more internship opportunities go to the Arts Internship website or contact Anne Turner at the Arts Internship Office:
Peterson Hall. Room 314
3460 McTavish St.
Phone: (514) 398-2916
anne [dot] turner [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)

When should I start seriously thinking about graduate school?

Students should explore a wide range of Art History courses at different levels, in different areas and with different instructors as much as possible, particularly in their early studies. It is unwise to specialize too soon since this may cut off valid options at a later date. You should begin researching graduate studies when you are certain you wish to proceed in that direction, or within your second to last or final year of undergraduate study, if you do not intend to take time off between degrees. During your last years of undergraduate study, it is a good idea to take some seminar courses where participation marks are common, which will give you a feel for the way graduate courses are routinely conducted. It is critical to note the month in which you would like to begin study, as well as any appropriate deadlines for applications and funding competitions. Many of the biggest and most prestigious scholarships and awards have deadlines almost a year in advance of the program start date (i.e. SSHRC and FQRSC). You should plan accordingly. Keeping in mind that you will have to spend time researching possible universities, departments, professors and funding options, as well as writing clear and convincing research proposals, you can see why most students need weeks or months to prepare their applications for Graduate study. Keep in mind also that funding applications and Graduate School applications both commonly require multiple reference letters, usually from former professors. Your professors will need proper notice to prepare their letters for your applications.

How should I choose a Graduate Program?

While the final choice will be up to you, the following variables may be helpful to consider:

  • Where do I want to live? Do I have any geographical restrictions? Where are the best programs for me located (Canada, UK, Caribbean, etc.)? How am I making this assessment?
  • Do I have any special personal or familial needs? Is the university sympathetic in this regard?
  • How will I fund my studies? Does the university offer guaranteed funding (i.e. Tuition Waivers, Teaching Assistantships, Research Assistantships, Internships, etc.)? Can I get a loan, grant or scholarship? Will my funding cover the duration of my studies?
  • What field do I want to specialize in and why? What are the best departments and who are the best professors in this area? Will I have access to my objects of study? If not, how will I access them when the time comes?
  • Have I found suitable supervision? Will this professor be someone that I can see myself working with over the course of several years? What is their supervision philosophy? During the thesis/dissertation phase, how often will I get to see them? Am I familiar with their research and do I see myself going in similar directions with my work? Do my interests in methodology, period, aesthetic, nation, style, artists, issues, etc. coincide with their own?
  • Does my potential supervisor have any plans which may hinder their ability to supervise me (i.e. sabbatical, research leave, too many students already under supervision, etc. )
  • How many other professors in the department, faculty or university seem interesting to me? Will I be able to take courses with them?
  • What are the politics of the department, faculty, and university? Will they hinder or benefit me?
  • Does my funding tie me to a particular university, city, country and topic?
  • Have I met or spoken to any students in the program and determined to the best of my ability what it would be like for me to be a student in this department?
  • How many applications do they get per year? How many students do they accept per year? How do they determine who they will accept? Are some crieteria more important to the department than others (i.e. GPA vs. GRE score)?
  • What is the GPA cut-off for acceptance? Do I have to write any additional tests or exams (i.e. GRE)?


What are the possibilities for graduate study at McGill?

McGill offers both a Masters and a PhD program in Art History. Information about the programs can be found on this page.

For further information, please contact:
Graduate Director for Art History:
Professor Matthew Hunter
Office: Arts W-250; Phone: (514) 398-2210; matthew [dot] hunter [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) .