- Where serious injuries or property damage are involved, care must be taken to leave everything as is (unless this creates an unsafe situation by doing so) in order that:
- the cause of the accident and the extent of the damage incurred may be investigated; and
- damaged or defective equipment, machinery can be retained for inspection by insurance adjustors.
- All accidents, dangerous incidents, and occupational diseases, however minor, must be reported at once using the McGill University Accident/Incident/Occupational Disease Report form. The immediate supervisor, or supervisor's delegate, should complete the form, and forward it to the Environmental Safety Office within 24 hours of the incident. When a victim is involved, the person completing the form should obtain the victim's signature, if possible. Where no injuries have been sustained, substitute the "name of victim" with the name of the person most closely involved with the incident.
- In the event that completion of Part "B" cannot be undertaken due to lack of information or the complexity of investigation, then the form should be transmitted with Part "A" completed. If further information is required, Part "B" will be returned to the department at a later date for completion.
- It is the responsibility of each head of department, faculty, institute, school, etc., to ensure that the above procedure is being followed.
- If assistance in completing the form is required, consult with the Benefits Office of the Department of Human Resources or the Environmental Safety Office.
Report of Accident/Incident/Occupational Disease